HIGH-PERFORMANCE, ENERGY-EFFICIENT LIGHTING
Well-designed parking lot lighting can help prevent accidents, deter crime, make your employees and guests feel more secure while still maintaining an attractive community environment. Poorly designed parking lot lighting can cause accidents, enable crime and be a detriment to a community’s image.
There are many considerations to take into account when planning for your parking lot and property lighting. If you are a facility manager, business owner or developer it can be a daunting task. Where do you go to find out if there are any specific requirements, guidelines or standards? To get started, follow the five guidelines listed below for parking lot lighting design.
1. Know Local Ordinances and Use Community Resources
2. Know Industry Standards for Parking Lot Lighting Design
3. Know Your Insurance and/or OSHA Requirements
4. Know the Equivalent of Energy Star for Parking Lot Lighting
5. What do Similar Businesses do for Lighting? Should You Create Your Own Specifications or Follow Theirs?